Wednesday, February 22, 2012

North By North by North

History Lesson!

For those of you who don't know, I'm in the very far north of Namibia. Like...15 km from Angola. The area is known as Owamboland- home of the Owambo people who inhabit northern Namibia and southern Angola and the most populous ethnic group in the country. From the 1960's-1980's Owamboland was the main area of the then rebel movement known as SWAPO (South West African People's Organization) and their military wing PLAN (People's Liberation Army of Namibia) formed in the mid 1960's in response to South Africa's continued (and according to the UN, illegal) possession of South West Africa (Namibia).

The South African Defense Force operated from a number of bases on the Angolan border to try and curb the influence of SWAPO and PLAN and the apartheid government cracked down on any sort of political activism from the Owambo people. It's interesting to live in an area with so much recent history.

A few weeks ago I met an Angolan in a bar. He asked me something in Portuguese and I told him in English that I didn't speak Portuguese. He then informed me that he didn't speak English. I asked if he by chance spoke Spanish, and he replied that he did. I spent the rest of the night talking with him, he was from Luanda and on vacation in Namibia.

One of my favorite parts about being here is the people that you randomly meet. I'm sure being white plays a big role but everyone is so eager to meet and talk with you. When I was in Windhoek I had the privilege to meet the first Namibian ambassador to both the UN and US. He is currently serving as the chief of mission to Tanzania. We talked about education in southern Africa for close to an hour. And I just met him one night because he asked for a light.

I think it's the same no matter where you travel, you're bound to meet some pretty cool people


1 comment:

  1. Love the post. You chose a good year to go. No snow. :(

    ReplyDelete