Monday, January 16, 2012

Ongwediva, Etosha, Tsumeb

What a week...I keep telling people I've only been here two weeks but it feels more like two months because the days are so full.

Last Sunday our group drove 8(ish) hours north to the city of Ongwediva, about 30 km south of my placement, where we taught classes to learners who volunteered to come during the last week of their summer break. Driven kids right? Right. It was so inspiring to see these 16 year-old kids walk hours to come to a class they didn't have to just to learn. I taught almost all grammar- anything from different pronouns and their uses to poetry. The learners were much more advanced than I was prepared for, but I think they enjoyed it none the less.

Before I left the US, a couple of people told me how great being a teacher was. I only half believed them until  I taught my first class a few days ago. It's an incredibly rewarding experience that is incredibly humbling. And I only taught four half-hour sessions. This year is going to be great.

After our four days in Ongwediva we headed south to the city of Tsumeb and went on a self guided safari in Etosha National Park. Saw so many different animals! Hope you enjoy the pictures below, in the future I'll try to put some where I'm actually in them.

On Thursday of this week I'll head north again to Omungwelume to begin teaching. Our field director told us we'd be itching to go by the end of orientation, which is certainly the case for me.

Ka nanga le po nawa!










You can find it ANYWHERE



































1 comment:

  1. Amazing photos Jason...makes me miss Kenya! Enjoy teaching! -Devan

    ReplyDelete